Tuesday, November 17, 2009

My Baby Is 8 Today


Eli is 8 today wow where has the time gone. When I was younger I often found myself asking when the time will pass. Now, I find myself asking time to please be kind and slow down. I also use to love the kiddos birthday now I find myself a little remorse. Silly I know, maybe it is because I have Ash and I am always aware at how fast the time went and in just a few months she will be 18. So while every birthday is a celebration it is also a glaring reminder that my babies are growing up and will not be my babies forever. Eli is the last little soul to have lived in my body and today I am finding this rather sad.
As each birthday approaches I am reminded that Eli is growing up and some of my favorite things like Eli sleeping with us will soon stop. Did I just hear a gasp? Are you shocked? Here’s another shocking fact, on a rare full moon when the stars align just right we are blessed to have all three in bed with us. I am blessed immensely that I have a husband who enjoys this as much as I do. Now, I will admit that as the years have passed my back complains a little more than before, that is when I tell it to suck it up and pop another Advil. We agreed after reading an amazing parenting book by Dr. Sears when Joe was little that we were going to do attachment parenting. We had been doing most of this with Ash but it wasn’t until we read this book did we feel totally justified. Plus, as we watched many of our friends get married and start having kids it seemed to us there was very little thought going into. It was like it was something that was the “thing” to do. They weren’t bad parents but to be honest their lives didn’t seem to center on their kids. Their kids seemed to be an accessory to their life, not the purpose of it. I agree we need to do things for ourselves occasionally but in my not so humble opinion it should be the exception not the rule. My kids are not accessories they are beautiful, amazing, loving souls that choose Eric and I to be their parents. I am honored and blessed and I don’t’ take that lightly. So needless to say we will continue to sleep with Eli until he says he doesn’t want to anymore. I am sure when that day comes it will be posted here and huge glasses of wine will be involved. As for you shaking your head wondering what about… go ahead say it, SEX! Well, let’s just say that there is nothing as exciting as finding new and interesting places. It has lost none of the appeal that it held 18 years ago.
As for me I skipped today. Something I haven’t done in awhile but was rather fun. Tonight when I go to bed I will close my eyes thank G*d for my son and for a husband who also believes his children are not an accessories but rather little souls that let us love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment