Saturday, November 7, 2009

Never Leave The House Without Looking Down!

Well the original plan of spending the day playing in mud puddles changed when the heavens started to rumble and the sky lit up like the fourth of July. Becoming a crunchy Michelle was not part of the plan of finding my joy. Instead I tried to find something that would be fun without risking my life. It took shape in the form of a phone call, a few minutes okay truth be told a couple of hours of listening to one of my favorite sounds, my best friend’s voice on the other end of the phone. So few people know me as she does, it is always nice to return to the safety of our crazy, fun, loving, bra traveling friendship. She has this innate ability to make me forget all the stupid things that like to take up space in my mind.
This leads me to the funniest part of my day, taking Ash to work. I stayed on the phone till the second I had to walk out the door. As I am leaving Iain informs me there is no way to get the fire going with the wood we have so I need to stop and pick up kindling. So I jump in the car as fast as I can, so I can deliver Ash to work, get the kindling, all so I can get my butt home so I can call her back and finish our conversation and find my sanity for the upcoming week. It is only as I am casually walking through IGA wondering if there is something fun I should buy since I am here, when I look DOWN! You can only imagine my horror as I realized I had left the house in my paint stained sweatpants, my favorite Uggs, that just so happen to have holes in the toes, my two sizes too big Eeyore sweatshirt, my hair thrown up in a bun, no makeup on and are your ready for this ~ no underwear or BRA! In the rush to get back to my conversation with one of my favorite people I just rushed out the door. As the blood starts to return to my bone white skin I start to panic, I am not much of a praying girl but at this moment not only was I praying I was begging God to please let me get the kindling paid for and get back out to my car without anyone I know seeing me.
It was only once I was safely in my car that I started to laugh not one of those cute little chuckles no this was one of those omg I am going to pee myself kind of laughs. My plan to regain joy today was to play in mud puddles but as with most things in life the universe had another lesson in mind. To truly find joy you have to throw off all the constraints you place on yourself. You have to be willing to get rid of your pride. My boys have never said, wait mom let me get something more pleasing to the eye on before we go to the store; you never know who I will run into. Nope hasn’t happened, they want to get there, get what I need, and get back to what really makes them happy and that would be playing with their friend. I think the next time I start to argue with them about their choice in clothing I will remember today. For today there was nothing more important than getting back home so I could play with my friend, even if it meant risking public humiliation.

2 comments:

  1. Treasure your friend...and you should be in a hurry home to finish the conversation! I miss the days of having a close friend to converse with....

    ReplyDelete